A law banning smoking in vehicles carrying children as passengers comes into force today in England and Wales.
It is now illegal to smoke in a vehicle with anyone under 18. Both the driver and the smoker could be fined £50. The law applies to every single driver in England and Wales; including 17 year olds who hold a provisional license.
The New law applies:
- to any vehicle that is enclosed wholly or partly with a roof.
- when people have the windows, sunroof or the air conditioning on.
- when someone its smoking in the open doorway of a vehicle
The law doesn’t apply to:
- 17 year old driver alone in their own car
- a convertible car with the roof down